I had the hardest time coming up with a Halloween costume this year. I wanted something at least a little offbeat, but of course you want to be semi-recognizable, too, otherwise, what’s the point? (True story: I went as a “Freudian slip” one year—a slip worn as a dress, decorated with Freud’s face and a bunch of psychology sayings—and it was a total disaster because no one could tell what it was. I’d put a lot of work into it, too!)
But I’m also behind and it was so close to Halloween that I didn’t have the time or the energy to sew something from scratch. And the pre-packaged ones are decidedly not appropriate for most locations.
But then a friend mentioned her idea, and it was so utterly brilliant I stole it (with permission. We live in different parts of the country, so it’s ok). I’m going as “the girl with the Green Ribbon.” It’s from a children’s book, “In a Dark, Dark Room and other Scary Stories.”
Here, have a listen if you don’t remember it:
I remember the book, vaguely, but I also think I heard it as a campfire tale. It’s perfect: it’s creepy, not too hard to do, work-appropriate, and—bonus!—literary. I’ll be wearing a Victorian-ish dress with a green ribbon around my neck, and a bit of makeup to make me pale, pale, pale, perhaps with a bit of bonus blood ichor seeping around the ribbon. (I’ll try to post a picture after I’ve got it all compiled.)
So what are you going as? Also, bonus points, let’s come up with some good literary horror/costume ideas for next year.
- The Cat in the Hat (cat costume + striped hat and bowtie)
- Carrie, from Carrie, of course (white dress covered in blood dye + blood makeup?)
- Harry Dresden, The Dresden Files (black trench coat + wizard staff)
- The Velveteen Rabbit (rough-around-the-edges rabbit costume & tissues because you’ll make everyone cry)
- Snow Queen from Narnia (though this year you’ll probably get confused with the Frozen crowd)
- Pride And Prejudice and Zombies (what’s better than undead literature?)
(You know, it figures that I would come up with all these ideas only after I’ve got a costume figured out…)